A change in hair color can have a dramatic effect on your overall appearance. A coloring blunder can make you look older, less polished or even silly. However, the right hair tone can make you feel more attractive and confident. Here are a few questions to help you select the perfect hair color:
Should your skin tone affect your choice of hair color?
Since your hair borders your skin, for the most balanced look, it is best to make sure that the tone of your hair complements that of your skin.
How do you get to know your skin tone?
Skin can appear different in various amounts of light or against a backdrop of different colors. To determine your basic skin tone, try the following:
- Start with a clean face. Makeup can mask the natural tones of your skin.
- Review it in sunlight. Skin can look different in artificial light, such as fluorescent lighting.
- Don't wear brightly colored clothing when you are reviewing your skin. Instead, choose light neutral shades.
- Peer into a hand mirror. You can adjust the mirror to minimize shadows.
- Look for the most prevalent tones. Cool tones are typically neutrals, blues and pinks. Warm tones, on the other hand, will be yellows and reds.
What if I want a dramatic look?
If you want a dramatic look, make sure that your hair color and the tone of your skin sharply contrast. For instance, if your skin tone is light and cool, such as a pale pink, black hair will be quite dramatic.
What if I want my hair color to look natural?
If you want a more natural look, choose a color that blends well with your skin tone. For example, if your skin has olive hues, variations of browns or warm blondes work well. For pink tones, pale blonds are complementary.
Should I consider my eye color when I choose a tone for my hair?
Your eye color can certainly affect how natural your hair color looks. If your eyes are a light, cool shade, match them with a light, cool hair color. For instance, light blue eyes look great with blonde hair. Dark, warm eye colors work well with warm brown hair tones.
Choosing a new hair color can seem like a daunting task. However, once you know your skin tone and the overall look you want to achieve, you can make a great selection. Nevertheless, if you want to find the perfect hair color, consult with a color specialist at a professional salon like Luce Hair Studio.